Wednesday 29 May 2013

For the LOVE of Sprouts

Sprouting

... is quite inexpensive and a lot of fun! I recently purchased a Sproutman Sprout bag from my local Health Food Store.














While I was there, I picked up a couple of incredibly overpriced starter seeds. Both batches worked well (one was alfalfa, for which Sproutman bags are not ideal), so I was quickly scouring the web for local, organic, bulk sprouting seeds. I came across this fantastic company in Ontario. I purchased 2 of their mixtures:


Bean Mix -1kg ($8.20)
Ancient Blend -1kg ($10.35)

Yesterday, I started a batch of the Bean Mix. The sprouting seeds should be rinsed and then pre-soaked for 8 hours. For this size bag, Sproutman recommends sprouting 1/2 cup seeds per batch.







First, you "sterilize" the bag by soaking it in boiling water for 5+ minutes. Add the soaked seeds, give them a good rinse to ensure everything is saturated, then hang up and allow to drip freely.

We already have wee sprouts after the first 24 hours:



Day 2:

Day 3:
Thinking these are good to go (already snarfed a couple big pinches, yummy)... but I've given them one more soak. Tomorrow morning I will put them in the fridge in a sealed container. They will keep for several days although it's not difficult to gobble them up in a day or two!


Day 4 (out of the sprout bag and into the fridge!):
                   











No comments:

Post a Comment